Thursday, April 24, 2008

Where is our day?

Mother's day is coming up, and these desperate retailers want to make sure that you remember the woman who brought you into this world by giving her some stuff - flowers, a coffee mug, or maybe a lap top computer. My mother passed away a long time ago, so I feel kind of disconnected from this particular holiday.

I was just talking to one of my friends about this, and we both agree that there needs to be some kind of Aunts or Godmother's day. I am not trying to take anything away from you mothers because that's a hell of a job. Still, as an aunt, I have changed plenty of diapers (not recently though) and have been dispensing a fair amount of love, advice and cash. Where's my day?

I am single and childless, and for a long time me and my friends who had similar backgrounds would talk about how we were spending all this money on bridal showers, baby showers etc., and how we weren't likely to get an opportunity to have some of those things for ourselves. Think about it. When you're single and childless, the only recognition you get is on your birthday - if you're lucky.

I'll take the last Friday night in June. That's right around the beginning of summer and as good as time as any for a celebration. All we need now is an official drink and a spokesperson. Any ideas?

No comments: